Season 2020-21 – COVID19 Community Sport Restrictions
As most of you will be aware, our original planned date to start the 2020/21 season was due to be Saturday 12th September 2020.
Unfortunately, with the many obstacles and uncertainties of the current COVID-19 situation, and based on the latest advice and recommendations issued by NSW Health, a decision has been made by the Sailing Executive Committee of the Club to postpone the start of our season until Saturday 10th October 2020. One of the key recommendations by NSW Health is that inter-region sporting activities are to be restricted. Whilst in itself this does not affect our club racing, another key advice is that participants who are members of a club not located within their local area should consider whether it is necessary to participate in their club’s activities at this time. These requirements are currently in place until 30th September 2020 and are to be reviewed just prior to that date. Should these restrictions be lifted earlier, the club will reassess this position.
NSW Health requested Australian Sailing to determine what regions and areas should apply for sailing in the Central Coast, Greater Sydney and Illawarra areas. Australian Sailing has split these areas into 9 regions. Unfortunately this means a number of our sailors and volunteers do not reside in the club area (Botany Bay).
Whilst, as long as we observe the other precautions and requirements from NSW Health, we would clearly be allowed to hold sailing races for sailors who live in the “Botany Bay” area, it was considered not feasible to conduct racing whilst some members may not be able to attend. If they chose to participate in our races and, by chance, happened to carry and convey the virus to another person because of the sailing activity approved by the Club, this could not only attract bad publicity for the Club, but more importantly, could potentially have an impact on that person for making the decision to participate in the first place against the NSW Health advice/recommendation.
In the meantime, on the assumption that we will be able to get our sailing season underway on the 10th October, all crew members of all boats will also have to register individually with the Club through the Club’s website – https://stgeorgesailing.com.au/ then click on the “Registration” tab at the top of the screen.
If you have a new crew member intending to sail with you this season, could you please pass this email on to them and get them to register with the Club (as per the previous paragraph) so that we can add them to the email circulation list.
Further updates will be sent out to try and keep you up to date as the new start date to the season gets closer.